Saturday, December 3, 2011

Preparing for Rain

One of my all time favorite movies is Facing The Giants.  It is an awesome family film, with a multitude of thought/life provoking messages, great humor, and just like some of the great Rudy like movies, has a captivating football story, that will get even the biggest dude to sit down and watch with his family.  There is a particular line in the film, towards, the end of the movie, when Coach Taylor responds to one of his speciality coaches (or whatever they're called in football lingo) question, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????"  Coach Taylor confidently replies, "I'm preparing for rain!"  Hum. What does he mean?  Think about that statement.  Do you hear crickets, or do the light bulbs start turning on?

Okay, because I'm honest, always- at first I heard crickets.  Initially I was incapable of really listening to what that meant! Because we've watched that movie dozens of times (one of Wyatt's top 5 fave) those 4 four words continue to stew in my soul. And for the first time in a very long time I believe the soil of my life, is finally ready to be replenished, nourished, watered and ready to grow.  Really grow.  Of course, there is always a but...(a word I really don't care for)  here's what this sentence finally  means to me: The soil must first endure harsh, bleak weathering environments, growing pains if you will.  The soil (my growing environment) must be properly nourished so it can be ready to flourish when the soft rain starts to fall, because even with all of the right soil conditions, sunlight, air,  etc. without the soft rain, everything else is all in vain. 

Oh I'm so thankful, I don't have this thing called life figured out. I'm even more grateful that God does!

This happens to be my favorite scene in the film.  PS- I no longer stink!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Love yours as well. I look forward to reading more:).