Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bounty



This year in my quest to be kinder to my adrenals and eat healthier I ventured out of my comfort zone, got a little crazy, and gave the garden  my very best Mary Roye effort!

My oh my, am I reaping the benefits. 

Trust me, I'm not trying to be boastful, on the contrary; if I can do this you can too! 

Gardening really is a miraculous thing. And I will take very little credit for the amazing veggies that are being  harvested! 

I'm still amazed that a seed (or in this case a old yucky potato) some dirt, water and sun can produce something so beautiful and deliciously good!!!  Besides, digging up the goods is like finding buried treasure!


Soil is everything!!

I spent a lot of time this spring trying to clean up my soil. Nothing but organic compost (yep, I make my own! thankyouverymuch!) manure tea, and a bit of chicken poop....and yes the chicken crap smells worse than cow poop!!!

My husband did his part, rototilled. 

Snow peas, carrots, beets, potatoes, onions, beans and tomatoes were planted at their respective time.  I must admit, I didn't think the instructions were correct, so I improvised...a little. Of course I learned the hard way, tiny carrot seeds really do produce plants.  It isn't necessary to over do it.  Let's just say I have learned how to thin plants!!! 

Instead of spending tons of money on fancy black paper to keep weeds out, I recycled cardboard and it did a great job!  Who knew?  Mary Roye that's who!  I can't take credit for that one, I remember as a kid, thinking she was crazy, she had cardboard outlining her entire garden.  Brilliant! Gram, brilliant!

I have said it before and I will say it again, farmers are my FAVORITE people. 

I have such admiration and respect for those who grow our food! After two days of picking beans and weeding, I could hardly move. I have such respect for those who pick our food!  It is my prayer that our society remembers the importance of buying locally and thinking globally!  Yep, that may mean you have to pay a bit more.  Is it worth it?   Every penny.  How do I know? My adrenals tell me so.


 

No comments: