Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Land of Hopes and Dreams




This summer I had the very good fortune to see one of my all time favorite bands up close and personal! Within a matter of hours it was decided- I couldn't pass up seeing The Boss in my backyard.  Truth be told, I refrained from buying tickets when they first went on sale because of the outlandish price tag.  If I hadn't seen Bruce before, it would be one thing, however, because I'd seen him more than a handful of times, I just couldn't justify it. 

The night before the show I drove to the race track and stood infield and watched as the roadies built the stage.  It was a beautiful Summers night and I was like a moth to a flame. As crew members walked past, one asked if I was enjoying the show.  He would have been surprised if only he knew just how much I was.   I was inspired.  I went home and made my sign.  I didn't know what the next 24 hours would hold, but, in the event that I decided to go, I wanted to be prepared.  I was.

 
The events that transpired the next day continue to put a smile on my face.  My husband called with glee in his voice and shared to my delight, that friends of ours had an extra ticket to the show....SOLD!  Aaron lovingly dropped me and his friends off at the side of the road and we walked in.  Never in my wildest dreams would I imagined what a show it would be.  As we meandered among the masses I saw many happy familiar faces.  To my astonishment a few of my friends we bumped into offered me their wristbands to enter the lottery section, feet from the stage. They assured me they were "too old" to be up there.  Their words, certainly not mine!  To say I felt like a had won the lottery is an understatement- I could hardly contain myself! The four of us grabbed the wrist bands and were off.


 
 
Words and pictures do no justice to the euphoria and sheer happiness I had for 3 hours and 40 minutes.  Never in my best dream would I be 3 people deep and make and hold eye contact with Bruce.  That is right- eye contact people!  Darlington County will forever hold a special place in my heart as he sang and played and looked right at ME!  I have witnesses just in case you think I am stretching the truth. Grin. 


One of my favorite songs from the evening land of hope and dreams.  Although Clarence wasn't there to belt out the sax section, I'm sure he was smiling down on his nephew and the horns section.  In some amazing way minus Clarance and Danny the band never sounded better!
 



 

No comments: