Friday, December 23, 2011

Anticipation

Yes, I love that Carly Simon song, but, I'll save that for another day.  Waiting is really not my greatest strength; yes, those who know me use this to their advantage, just to get a rise out of me (I'm easy to set off....who knew??).  As I'm always open for some good self improvement I'm working on this.  Anticipation is an awesome word to describe the month of December.  As a child I dreaded December.  Odd I know considering it is my birthday month, however, the month of December just takes for ever to get through.  It seems like an eternity the span between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

FINALLY Christmas Eve would come, and guess what, I was so excited (filled with anticipation) that I couldn't fall asleep (gosh I wish I had melatonin back then) and then once I did, I usually would be up a few hours later.  The rule was: we weren't allowed to wake our parents up until 6:30 a.m. Yes, I feared my dad (who is a big softy now), so waking up around 3:30 a.m. was painful, because no matter what I did I couldn't fall back asleep.  By the time 6:30 rolled around my bedroom was spic and span. To pass the time I would give my room a good Christmas clean: closet, dresser, under the bed...you name it  got cleaned.

So it should come as no surprise that the fruit of my womb would be up at the crack (I'm talking 4:30 a.m. people) of dawn 2 days before Christmas.  Honestly, I had to laugh as I heard them jibber jabbing away.  They can hardly stand themselves, they are SO EXCITED.  Yes, they are excited to see if Santa really will put something under the tree, but what I continue to hear them talking about is seeing there cousins on Christmas morning and them spending the night at Aunt Kell's on Christmas night.  Thank you Lord for little gifts that a mother's heart treasures.  I really can't wait to be all snuggled in with my favorite people making lifetime Christmas memories.  Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

PS- if possible say an extra prayer that my kids sleep in until at least 5:30 a.m. -this mama needs as much beauty sleep as possible!

No comments: