Thursday, April 21, 2011

When Wine No Longer Helps

Say it isn't so!!  I know for some, you shutter at the thought.  For others, you have no clue what I am referring to (if that is your case, simply stop reading this blog and go to Hole in our Gospel).  I promise I will not opine about how much I love wine, although, maybe someday I will write a post on that.  However, I wanted to share something that is a bit personal.  I promise I won't cross boundaries... quite frankly I get annoyed when people share everything,-a little mystery is a good thing!

Prior to kids I never really understood the allure of good wine.  Indulgence often leads to painful headaches, and I am a quick learner.  I do however truly enjoy a GOOD, smooth, pleasing to the pallet, glass of wine.  Of course if I am with my sisters the results of a few glasses of wine can be innocent fun.  But, believe it or not, there came a time when wine no longer provided the desired effect I was seeking.  GASP.... I KNOW!!!!  How is that possible you ask, well it happened!.  Thankfully I had enough presence of mind in seeking alternative measures to obtaining the calm and peace I desperately desired from wine. 

Thus, resulting in my quest to understand Adrenal Fatigue.  What?  Adrenal who?  Never heard of it?  Don't feel bad, neither had I.  But here is the skinny, this little gland known as "Adrenal" is incredibly important to your overall well being, and if not working at its optimum potential can make life miserable at best.  My incredible Nutritionist/Genius medical goddess a.k.a Catherine The Great  (as I so lovingly refer to her in my home) encouraged me to read James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome.  This book is beyond phenomenal, it is a MUST BUY, highlight, follow the directions, reread and encourage others to buy!!!  (This is saying a lot; considering I will go to Barnes and Noble, take pictures of all the books that look interesting to me, then go to the library and request the books to read.  For real, I do this....and for those of you who didn't think I was thrifty...ha! ) 

Talk about enlightenment!!!  For the sake of my adrenals (of which they are exhausted at present)  I will simply say this:  If you have ever found yourself desiring more and more of that blessed thing called rotten grapes- read the book.  Or, if you ever catch yourself peeking at the clock wondering if it’s “mommies little helper” time and it isn't even 9:00 am- read the book.  Or, if you are continuously exhausted and you can't blame it on your kids, because your youngest is now 5 and has been sleeping through the night for 3 years- read the book.  Or, you have been living on Motrin and Tylenol because of your constant headaches/migraines- read the book.  Or, if all of the above apply and you think this is "normal" – READ THE BOOK!

I promise, you will love the book, love me for referring it, and feel even better about drinking an occasional glass of wine!

No comments: