Monday, March 21, 2011

Hormones Who Needs Them?

ME! DISCLAIMER: This post is NOT exclusively for women, on the contrary, men out here in blog land this post will benefit you more than you can imagine if you have the nerve to hang here a while and read! 
So why a blog on hormones you ask, well, considering we are human and have them (in fact I dare you to try to live without them) what better topic to blog about than something everyone deals with on a daily basis for their entire life.   

Fortunately, my older sister has paved my way, scouring endless books and reading countless studies, hashing her findings out with my younger sister (who is a physician.) The end result:I reap the benefits of all their hard work.  My role is the Ginny pig; willing to try just about anything to help relieve and eliminate the below mentioned symptoms.  Let me say this right off the bat, I am so thankful for Western medicine.  I do NOT say this lightly.   I willingly could do a commercial for various medicines I have used that have made a tremendously positive impact on the quality of my life.  However, and this is a HUGE however, I never realized nor understood, the incredible importance of hormones or the horrible implications on your body when they are depleted.  Within the past few years, I have been having the same conversation with various women that all stem from the following observation/complaints: brain fog (I mean F.O.G.!!!) exhaustion, sensitivity to light, noise, smell, changes in eyesight, headaches/migraines, an intolerance to foods you may have tolerated well before, unexplained weight gain, extreme coldness, loss of libido, an increased desire/need for salt and sugar and last but my most favorite…heightened PMS symptoms, a.k.a (it is day 27 so you better watch out because I am C.R.A.Z.Y. woman!)  After several appointments with various doctors, countless varied opinions, more prescriptions than you imagine (of course with side affects) I shifted gears altogether…

Who better to turn to than the self proclaimed bioidentical hormone expert and cancer warrior, Suzanne Somers….you know, Chrissy from Three’s Company.  Have your laugh, bite your tongue and go ahead and see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Somers  She has authored several books on the matter but MOST importantly she and (the team of physicians she works with) made a believer out of me! Her books really provide such great information.  Let me also recommend Dr. Henry Emmons’ The Chemistry of Joy, an incredibly, informative, easy read that made SO much sense!

 I have known my whole life I would have NEVER survived living in the 19th or 20th century.  Thankfully God knew what He was doing and created me for 21stcentury living.  With the help of the internet, other  brave women who boldly share their stories (and Sympotoms) and a handful of medical professionals who “get it,” I might just figure this whole hormone thing out.  Having to take a look in the mirror and realize you can continue to blame the world, or become part of the solution, can be an empowering shift!  Time to take charge.

 Over the next few months I am going to be blogging quite a bit on this, as I know I’m not suffering alone.  I would love and welcome comments or helpful suggestions you may have to offer !!!! 

No comments: